Marrakech is gaining in popularity for many good reasons. Here are just six of them.
1) Just a three hour flight from UK with British Airways (started March 2011), Easyjet, Ryanair, Royal Air Maroc, Atlas Blue, Air France, Alitalia, KLM, Lufthansa and Swiss Airlines. An increase in weekly flights from 39 to 100 a week has followed a major upgrade for Marrakech airport to provide much improved facilities for the larger numbers of arrivals.
2) Your money goes further! The cost of living in terms of everyday items is significantly lower in Morocco than it is in Europe, not least as far as food, handicrafts and souvenirs are concerned. Of all short haul sun destinations available to Europeans Marrakech is one of the shrewdest choices.
3) Shopping. Forget shopping centres, the souks of Marrakech provide a different, exciting shopping experience. This is your chance to buy directly from potters, wood workers, metal smiths, painters and craftsmen of all types. The souk supplies unique, handmade shawls, leather goods, jewellery, traditional lanterns, decorative tassels and a great deal more.
4) Food. Marrakech is a great place for foodies. There are many well-priced restaurants, cafes and bars, offering excellent Moroccan and European cuisine, but perhaps the most authentic dining experience is provided by the many food stalls on the Place Djemaa el-Fna.
5) Sun! Lots of it, averaging 300 days a year.
6) Golf. There are now no fewer than six top class courses around Marrakech with water and sand hazards featuring prominently at most of them. Conditions are ideal during the European winter and the backdrop of the snow-capped Atlas is truly marvellous.